Monday, May 16, 2011

to nie jest koniec!

I can't bring myself to eulogise this blog, because that will mean it is dead. Therefore, I'll just pretend I'm still in Poland, and continue writing about Poland indefinitely. :) You can join in the pretending; we can sit on the banks of the Odra and eat zurek and sip cabbage juice from a straw, the sun will shine and we can all speak wonderful Polish.


I felt like this guy on my last day in Poland, in some parallel universe where gnomes saddle up pidgeons and fly into the sunset. Mostly because it's quite surreal leaving a place you've spent a bit of time in, possibly forever, with only a backpack. Ewa was in Warsaw for the weekend, so I locked up our apartment and vacated the city alone. I waved a final goodbye to Super-Bum and his buddies in the park, standing conspiratorially in the freezing cold, nursing beers at 10 am. Bought a ticket from the mustachioed ticket guy, who always smiles at my mangled Polish. And shuffled on the bus for a final time.

I think there's some threshold of time where the impression a place leaves on you becomes indelible. It's probably about 6 months. Ewa and I were there for 10 (Tak, Ewa, some of us are still there, I know!). Thus Wroclaw will probably forget me before I forget it.

3 comments:

  1. Mam nadzieję, że to nie koniec :)
    Update on Super-Bum will not reveal a mystery... Beer in hand, walking slowly with a dog next to him. Looking for a banch to sit, waiting for a random chat with Extra-Bum. Summer is here.Sweet Super-Bum harmony....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Karl
    My name is Joe Pinzone and I'm casting an international travel show about expats moving abroad. We'd love to film Poland and wanted to know if you could help us find expats who have moved there within the last 15 months or have been there for 3-4 years, but recently moved into a new home. The show documents their move to a new country and will place the country in fabulous light. The expats on the show would also receive monetary compensation if they are filmed. They must also speak English fluently and can be buyers or renters for their homes. If you'd like more information, please give me a call at 212-231-7716 or skype me at joefromnyc. You can also email me at joepinzone@leopardusa.com. Looking forward to hearing from you.

    Joe Pinzone
    Casting Producer
    P: 212-231-7716
    Skype: Joefromnyc

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joe,
      As my incredibly punctual reply to your message will probably testify, this blog is now dormant! I came back to Australia from a year in Poland at the start of 2011, and unfortunately haven't had the chance to go back there yet.

      Hope your film went well & all the best. :)

      Karl

      Delete