Wednesday, November 3, 2010

There's a disarming honesty to those who abandon all the usual pretence, and just ask you for what they want. Somehow it's become standand practice in Polish cities for young guys who want beer, but who lack the necessary funds, to just ask strangers for money for beer.

There's no carefully constructed, sympathy inducing pretext. "Excuse me sir, I need some money for beer."

It usually takes me several moments too long to process the Polish, so I find myself muttering "nie ma" (I don't have any) pretty often, but I actually feel inclined to give them some.

4 comments:

  1. i don't know. it was charming at first but now it's become 'the usual pretense'.
    maybe i'm just bitter because i pay for my own beer... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean, it's gonna get old pretty quickly. :) it alway just surprises me, because I know what people in Australia would say: "you're kidding me, right?" or something less polite. So they don't even bother! It makes me admire the shameless opportunism of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perhaps I'm way to Polish for this sort of thing. I usually say
    "sorry, spend all my money on beer myself"
    and it's usually true too :)

    ReplyDelete